Scuba Diving in Gili Trawangan
Bali remains one of the most popular diving destinations in the world. Besides exquisite beaches, it also offers an impressive array of exciting diving locations. The scenery in Bali is awe-inspiring and it is no wonder most tourists are converted into diving enthusiasts by the time they leave.
One of the fascinating scuba diving locations is Gili Trawangan, the largest island off Lombok. This is not only a popular tourist destination but the ultimate diving location. The tropical island is a delight for divers as it is available throughout the year with favorable weather and tranquil waters which are irresistible to a diver. The island is host to a diverse range of marine species, something every diver will enjoy.
Best Time to Visit Gili Trawangan
The best thing about Gili Trawangan is the tropical weather conditions; the tropical temperatures all year long and cool nights are perfect. The monsoon season with heavy rains starts in November up to April. The rain is not as heavy as in the other islands but for the perfect scuba diving experience, the dry months from May to October are recommended. The months of July, August, December and January have the ideal weather conditions for diving. Temperatures range between 22 and 34 degrees Celsius, which is exactly what scuba divers love.
Gili Trawangan Scuba Diving Sites
- Manta Point – Features a large reef system with magnificent corals and is home to a wide range of species including octopus, manta rays, sting rays, and reef sharks.
- Japanese Wreck – Experienced divers get to explore the wreck of this World War II Japanese patrol boat.
- Halik – Perfect site for drift diving; divers of all levels will love this spot.
- Meno Wall – The wall is a popular spot for all types of divers and has an impressive array of marine life including crabs and lobsters.
- Shark Point – Home to larger marine life including sharks, large rays, big bump head parrot fish, and ideal for all levels of divers.
Diverse Range of Marine Life
This is a rich spot for marine life with species such as parrot fish, pipe fish, seahorses, rays, eels, octopus, and even black and white tip sharks, puffer fish, trumpet fish, barracuda, leaf fish, cuttlefish, and frog fish, crabs, lobsters, and shrimp among others.
Gili Trawangan is an idyllic destination for anyone looking for a laid back, relaxed and welcoming place to spend their vacation. Whether you want to swim, snorkel and scuba dive, take boat rides, ride a horse, hike or go on a biking tour, there is something for everyone. The nightlife is vibrant and villas here are world-class like Villa Almarik. There is an international airport at Lombok from where you can connect to Gili Trawangan by ferry or boat.